Thursday, March 29, 2012

Oh, I'll give you a "Cheeseburger in Paradise"....

Nestled in the Luquillo kioskos is a restaurant.  One among many.  But if you ever find yourself in Puerto Rico, it is the only one you need to know.  Its a little bar and grill.  No doors or walls on the front or back; you can easily see the crashing waves of the Atlantic ocean.  The tables have empty six-packs as condiment caddies, and there are an abundance of Sharpies to draw on nearly any open surface.  It's casual and welcoming with just a hit of grime.  This is el Jefe Burger Shack.

Tonight a few of us escaped to Luquillo for dinner.  I've been told about the magic of el Jefe, and this was my first encounter.  I loved the atmosphere immediately, but would my burger live up to expectations?  Our waitress took our drink orders.  My mojito was perfect.  Perfect, I tell you!  Minty, limey, slightly sweet, intoxicatingly perfect.  And the beers that the others ordered came in their own cozy little ice pails.

In case you were wondering, this is what a Mojito should look like.

Aaron with his ice cold Coors Light like a good Colorado boy 
Now we placed our orders.  I ordered a 1/3 pound burger, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, dill pickle, mayo.  Then came the clincher... the test of character...  I asked for it medium rare.  And she said, "Sure."  No hesitation.  No, "We're not really supposed to, but we'll do our best." No questions asked.  Yes.  And I substituted the fries for a side of nachos.  I've seen jaws drop and eyes widen just at the mention of these nachos.  Of course I had to experience them for myself.

And then we waited. And waited.  And waited.  And, my friend, you too will wait when you eat at el Jefe.  But let me tell you this, your wait will not be in vain.  The burger that was set before me was a thing of beauty.  But like any good burger, it was the first bite that got me hooked.  The toasted bun, the perfect balance of toppings, and just as I had requested... a pink medium rare center. Heavenly.

And then there are the nachos.... OOHHHHHH! the nachos.  All other nachos should bow down or cower in shame.  Crispy corn chips adorned with pico de gallo, avocado, and jalepeños.  But the cheese sauce, el Jefe cheese sauce made in house... I've tasted few things so delicious as this.  It took me a while, but I finally pinpointed what I think must the secret ingredient: 100% pure distilled euphoria.  When Jesus throws a party, these are the nachos he serves to his disciples.  All I want is to be buried under a pile of el Jefe nachos so I can eat my way out.  Yes, they are THAT good.

el Jefe Burger and Nachos of GLORY
Two months left on this island... you bet your sweet ass I'll eat at el Jefe again.

2 comments:

  1. that cow should be proud of its wonderfully tasting flesh, muscle and fat. that cow did not die in vain..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some cultures, it's an honor to be sacrificed for the benefit of others. This cow joined those ranks for sure.

      Delete