Monday, March 12, 2012

Boardriders

Getting to travel places on the island has taken some creativity.  Initially the station had a 12 passenger van and a Jeep Cherokee owned by the University.  Seth is the only grad student who is authorized to drive the vehicles for "official" business, which grocery shopping loosely fell under.  Only a couple weeks after I got here, both cars suffered major mechanical issues, and neither have been repaired yet (hello "island time").

In many ways this has been a blessing.  We've had a rental van every weekend since, and Seth is able to drive us to places other than just the grocery store.  Last week we went to the electronic music fest, but we can even just go out for drinks which we couldn't do before.  This weekend we had a 15 passenger Ford van instead of a mini van.  Friday night we were all able to pile in together and drive to a bar in Luquillo called Boardriders.  Its a chill place with a large patio in front that looks over the Atlantic Ocean.  Attached is a stand that rents surfboards and offers lessons that I would love to take advantage of someday.

I can't stress enough how great it was to unwind and have a few beers with the crew outside of the station.  It's something I really miss doing with my friends back home.  Hopefully, we'll get to hang out near the coast for drinks more often.  It's the simple things that make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment