Yesterday, Silvia and I spent the morning in the field with the contingency of finishing data entry inside if the rain interfered with seedling work. It started to pour around lunchtime, so we started our hike out of the grid. It wasn't the most severe rain we've experienced. But the Sonadora said otherwise. As we got close to the river, we could see it raging violently over the rocks. I checked the stream gage at the bridge. Normally it is at 3.4 feet. Now, in just a few hours it had risen to 6.5 feet! It looked so spectacular that I had to hike back with my camera. Here are the before and after pictures:
 |
| Normal Stream flow - January 26, 2012 |
 |
| View from the bridge - March 28, 2012 |
In the forest, it didn't seem like very much rain, but it must have been falling more heavily higher up the mountain. It felt very surreal to stand on the bridge as the water raced below me. I cross that bridge every day, but this time I felt so much smaller. Like I could be swept away any minute. Sometimes, there is nothing so humbling as nature in full force.
No comments:
Post a Comment