Saturday, February 11, 2012

If a tree falls on your plot, do you still census it?

I have now survived two weeks of field work in El Yunque. The first two days, we just walked the trail and started learning to identify the seedling species.  Each of was given a plant ID packet to write down characteristics as we came across each plant.  I also sketched examples in my guide.  For the first dozen or so plants, I felt I had a good grasp so far.  But this was just the tip of the iceberg.  Soon it seemed like I was writing the same traits over and over, and my drawings started to look identical.  In two days we learned over fifty tree, liana, and fern species.  My crew mates and I tried to practice identifying examples back at the station, but how the hell was I going to keep them all straight?!

After our plant ID crash course, we were thrown into "the grid."  The grid is a 320x500 meter experimental plot divided into 400 20x20 meter quads.  Within the grid are more than 200 1x2 meter seedling plots.  Our goal is to count, ID, and measure all seedlings in the plots.  It's tedious work that often requires sitting in one spot staring at the ground for long periods of time, but hard to complain about when the surroundings are so breathtaking.

We stumbled through the first plot together as a group, then split into smaller teams.  My partner, Courtenay, and I quickly realized the true meaning of "learning by doing."  Our first couple of plots went well, and we made our way through the column.  But we couldn't find our third plot.  We knew we were in the right location, our plot should be right over there....where that giant tree has fallen. Sure enough we found the plot post buried under branches.  Of course, it still needed to be censused, but we found only one seedling near the plot line.

A seedling plot covered in debris. Only the blue top of the corner post is visible near the center  of this photo.

The rest of the week was plagued with constant rain showers.  Now, I expected frequent precipitation. (I am working in a RAINforest after all!) But this "dry season" has been uncharacteristically wet.  Courtenay and I were in the middle of one plot when it started raining. HARD. The sound of the rain was so deafening that we had to shout to hear each other.  And unlike most other showers, this one didn't let up.  For three hours, we sat trudging through our plot in the most intense downpour.  We were both completely soaked.  I don't think I've ever felt so saturated to my core.  Even through my rain gear!

This past week the weather was much kinder to us with only short showers and two rain-free days at the end of the week.  Courtenay and I are finding a rhythm, plant IDing is starting to get easier.  And the sunny days have allowed me to enjoy my surroundings even more.  Don't expect to see me back in Indiana any time soon.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're having a good time! I can't wait to read more, keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to be one with the rain forrest pretty soon! All the observation of your surroundings, being victim to rapidly changing weather, dealing with the swarms of bugs, and not to mention the heat... This sounds like an experience only a true biologist would appreciate lol! Keep it up. What youre doing is very unique and special.

    ReplyDelete