When everyone was safely on the ground, the four of us stuffed our bags into the station's rickety, leaky van. Chris drove us away from the airport, and I finally got a better look at the island that I'll call home for the next four months. When my plane landed, I couldn't see out the window from my aisle seat, but I got a much better view from the van. Out my left was the north coast with palm trees and sandy beaches. To the right I could see the central interior mountains covered in rainforest. And peppered in between were McDonald's, Walgreens, and all the other modern conveniences of home. It quickly became apparent to me that Puerto Rico dances a fine line between US territory and foreign nation.
We crept up a winding mountain road into El Yunque National Forest. With every bump I was sure this mid-90s Dodge was going to rattle apart around us. Finally, we made it to El Verde Field Station intact. I knew I would be on a six-person crew, but I had no idea how many volunteers and other researchers would be living at the station as well. In total there are six seedling squad volunteers, ten tree census volunteers, two technicians, and two grad students. ...PLUS! two of the coolest researchers I've met and their two grad students... (but that's a story for another day). The "dorm-style living" is really more like a summer camp. I don't know any dorm room that has 4 sets of bunk beds and one bathroom.
| The view from my bed with my bunkmate and seedling squad friend Katie |
This week my crew is finally getting out into the seedling plots. Look forward to more updates on my rainforest adventures. But for now, this night owl needs to get some shut eye :)
No comments:
Post a Comment